Sunday, May 25, 2014

Børnelitteratur.dk

Merlin P. Mann | Danish authors & illustrators
Born in San Francisco in 1971, but grew up in Denmark with an American father and a Danish mother. My first passion was comics (Tintin taught me to read) and later it was role-playing, which I started lightning mcqueen game way back in 1983. This resulted in a plethora of games, translations, magazines, and other writing projects, but even so I am not a future as a writer. It became clear after a failed philosophy student lightning mcqueen game and an equally capsized attempt to manage a restaurant.
In 2001 I dropped the pots and pans and started writing again. I got a foot in at Egmont, where I made book versions of the great Pixar and Disney movies. The bank overdraft was held in place by translation and a host of small commissions as a writer. My first own book was "Magic & Sword" (Clematis, 2004), one book on role-playing, and the next was the Christmas special "The Great Gnome Hunt" (Clematis) in 2005 - funnily enough, the same year "Christmas in Valhalla" lightning mcqueen game ran on TV2 ( the one I had made sketches for with the authors Lene Kaaberbøl and Mette Finderup).
In a few years I was also involved in a computer project, which ended in a million bankruptcy but had brought me along with the artist lightning mcqueen game and author, Jan Kjær. In 2004, we started on the manga-inspired book series, "Taynikma" (Phabel, 2005-2007), which has since become a huge success in Scandinavia. A quarter of a million books sold, it has so far been to.
It will be hard to hide the enormous impact comics, role-playing and fantasy has had on my writing. On the whole, I am writing seemed primarily to myself that when I was 10-12 years old. Most of what I loved at that age was totally ostracized by his contemporaries, and I wonder if my writing is a delayed showdown with the then prevailing taste. I want to write stories that children themselves will read and love - here should my role models to people like Dennis Jürgensen and the young Bjarne Reuter. I should also mention Lene Kaaberbøl as a beacon for us who want to write stories with broad appeal and high impact. Bibliography
Magic & Sword: How to play role-playing games (publisher Clematis, 2004)
Børnelitteratur.dk
Fortællingen.dk Denmark literature guide to the good story. If you're looking for reviews of children's and youth books, visit Fortællingen.dk. Since no longer updated, but contains 1400 reviews.


No comments:

Post a Comment